Thursday, April 14, 2011

This Is The Post Where I Confess That

I was Utterly And Completely Mistaken earlier when I said that the first Knoxville Farmers Market is this coming Friday.  Through a series of Very Lucky Conversations today with some co-workers, I learned that the first Farmers Market was actually THIS VERY AFTERNOON at New Harvest Park in east Knoxville!!!! 

I heard this surprising news this afternoon at about 4:30, and rushed to wrap everything up at work so I could get over there before it all closed down.  I arrived at about 5:30, with half an hour to spare.  I have no idea what had been there at the beginning of the afternoon, but there were a few things left that caught my eye.

tgc2011 04 14_2670e

I found fresh eggs (at $4.00 a dozen, these are a great price -- fresh and healthy for only a few cents more than the sad ones at the grocery store), local corn meal (yellow corn meal, too -- so southern!), beautiful fresh asparagus (yum yum yum), and (drum roll please...) fresh green garlic.

freshgreengarlic01tgc

I only have an inkling of what I'm going to do with it. In Alice Waters' book Chez Panisse Vegetables, she talks about a fresh green garlic soup that I just might have to try tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'll be scouring the internet for ideas that could tempt me into trying them instead...(all the while, of course, comforted by the knowledge that I am now safe from roving vampires...)

Happy Day.
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it...