Sunday, July 24, 2011

07.24 At The Kitchen Table

Lettuces, then strawberries, then blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant -- now tomatoes and peaches. I've been in love with them all to the exclusion of all else at some point this summer.
HOW I want to show you all what I'm up to! But, if you remember, I mentioned a while back that I was having technical difficulties ...

We started the summer with the refrigerator going out. I replaced it with a beautiful samsung four-door french door model -- you know the one -- the kind with the refrigerator bit up top and the freezer down below, with a middle refrigerator drawer just for What's-His-Name's lunches so he quits fussing about too many veggies getting in his way. I have finally gotten used to it, but if you are considering getting one, I would recommend that you find a friend who has one and take a look at it FILLED. It really does take some getting used to.

Since we had to get a new refrigerator, it only seemed reasonable to get a range at the same time. I've learned that if you are planning on getting a matching item, you'd better get it now or not at all -- things are discontinued all the time and without notice. (Aaargh. And that's all I have to say about that.) So we did.

Note, if you are getting a new range:
Get a convection range if you can.
If it has any kind of touch screen, go the extra bucks and get the glass screen.
Check the measurements WITH the handles and make sure they don't block your cabinet door from opening...

Sigh.

And now, it's the computer.  I've been fighting with that thing for a while now and have long been saving either for a new computer, a second camera, or a trip to outer space. (They all cost about the same...) Well, I guess I'm just lucky that the space shuttle is not running any more and that I really don't NEED a second camera, because my computer is giving me fits.

Note -- (well, more of a question, actually):
Is the phrase "giving me fits" strictly a southern phrase, in the same category as "pitching a fit"? Hopefully y'all know what I mean...

Anyway. The time has come. I am going to order my new computer tomorrow, and will hopefully have it by Thursday(?), and will hopefully THEN have photos and all kinds of good stuff to show you.

Hopefully.


Meanwhile, let me let you in on a great kitchen secret or two:
  • Don't store your tomatoes in the refrigerator -- keep them on the counter. If they are ripe, just don't let them get in the sun.
  • Don't be afraid of weird looking tomatoes. Many of the heirlooms are wonderful! Our new favorite this year is Nyagous, a small Russian black heirloom tomato. FABULOUS!
  • The best way to eat a tomato -- slice it, sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt (or not), eat.
  • The second best way to eat a tomato -- slice it, top with couple of fresh basil leaves, top that with a slice of fresh mozzarella -- sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt, let stand for 15 minutes to an hour (room temperature) and then drizzle with a tiny bit of really good balsamic. Eat.
  • The best way to eat a peach -- slice it, sprinkle with a tiny bit of sugar (or not), eat.
  • The second best way to eat a peach -- slice it, sprinkle with a tiny bit of sugar, top with a scoop of homemade peach ice cream, top with a spoonful of homemade raspberry jam. Eat.
Get the picture?

Now -- here's a scene from the Farmers Market on Market Square last weekend . I was really not feeling well that morning, but these guys cheered me up so much I felt better!  I had to use my phone to get the video, so it isn't all that great, but if you listen closely for the song you'll be humming it the rest of the day. :-)


Dancing in the Square With A Long-Legged Girl from Linda M on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it...