Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Project

tgc010111blackeyedpeas01

Hello, 2011!


The project for the year?   To learn to cook everything* at the Farmer's Market.

(*everything meaning vegetables, fruits, etc. -- meat/dairy may or may not be included)

Why the heck would I do that?   I'm hoping that all those veggies taste as good as they look -- I mean, I can't keep buying them just because they're pretty, can I?

Hopefully, as a result, I will be eating a more healthy diet of food that is fresh, clean, and locally grown.

Healthier diet = healthier person.

I'm jazzed about this project, and can't wait to get started. But wait! There is a slight problem challenge! The Farmer's Market doesn't open until May -- so I have to have a plan for the next four months. Here's the list of what I've thought of so far:

  1. Dried beans and peas
  2. Whatever produce seems abundant and fresh at the supermarket (winter squash, greens, etc.)
  3. Vinaigrettes and dressings
  4. Breads and crackers
  5. Herbs, spices, and seasonings

Any other thoughts out there?


Well, for now, I'm off to fix collard greens using a recipe I found in Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc At Home cookbook. While they cook (in the oven!) I will be cooking the black eyed peas using my brand new pressure cooker for the very first time. If I don't ever return, dear reader (for now, alas, I have but one), it is likely because I've done something terribly wrong and the pressure cooker has blown up.

Wish me luck, and I'll wish you all A Very Prosperous New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited about this project! (and that gorgeous picture!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have two readers! I'm so excited about your new project. I've missed you so much in blogland. And I love to cook so I'm along for the entire ride! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woo hoo! TWO of you! :-D I love you guys...

    (As you can see, by the way, I survived the pressure cooker, although I did have to make an appointment with a cardiologist. That darn thing scared me nearly to death.)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it...